Uninstalling and reinstalling the QuickBooks should be done when a simple reinstall does not correct an issue or QuickBooks Desktop function is damaged beyond repair. This process involves uninstalling the QuickBooks Desktop for Windows, renaming the installation files left behind, and then reinstalling the program. This whole set of actions is called clean Uninstall.
For uninstalling the QuickBooks application, you can use the following protocol;
• Press ‘Windows key +R’ to open the Run command.
• In the dialog box, type Control Panel and click OK.
• If Control Panel is in Category View, click Uninstall a Program or else Click Programs and Features
• select QuickBooks and click Uninstall/Change in the list of programs
• To complete the process you have to follow the prompts
• If you get an error message and are unable to uninstall QuickBooks, you will need to contact the Microsoft because there is a problem with the Windows Operating system and it is not an Intuit product
The next step in the process is to rename the installation folders, this can be done via following protocols;
Run the QuickBooks clean instant tool
1. Download the QuickBooks_Clean_Install_Tool.exe file and save it on your desktop.
2. Launch the QuickBooks_Clean_Install_Utility.exe.
3. On the license agreement, Click on ‘I Accept’.
4. Click ‘Continue’ after Selecting your version of QuickBooks Desktop
5. When you see the message “QuickBooks is now ready for a clean install, please install to the default directory.” ,Click OK on it.
Rename the QB desktop installation folders manually
Using Windows Explorer, bring out the hidden files and rename everyone of the folder locations listed for your version of Windows.
As a help, mention ‘old’ or ‘damaged’ at the end of the folder name. This will stop the QuickBooks from recalling the folder in order to create a brand new one.
Location of the folder
• C:\ProgramData\Intuit\QuickBooks (year)
• C:\Users\(current user)\AppData\Local\Intuit\QuickBooks (year)
• C:\Program Files\Intuit\QuickBooks(year)
• 64-bit version C:\Program Files (x86)\Intuit\QuickBooks (year)
The final step is to reinstall the QuickBooks software. You can do this by downloading the appropriate installation files for your product and region. One thing that you have to be sure of is to have your QuickBooks download file or your installation CD and installation license available before uninstalling QuickBooks. In case you don’t have either one of it you can contact on the QuickBooks technical support number which is 1-800-593-0163. Depending upon your region and version of software, your queries will be entertained and prompt solution will be given via hand holding support or remote assistance.